RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Friday, August 12, 2005

Change is bad. Or is it?

Because I "forum" so much, I don't often get time or energy to actually "blog". (Are forumming and blogging, verbs?) Sometimes, a change in my life will prompt me to wax philosophical or just chew on some wax. Remember those old sugar-drink-filled wax bottles that you could chew?

In any case, Mary and I got back from her families vacation last weekend. It was a challenge for me because the week prior I found out that my Pastor, Bishop James Endecott, was praying about a particular situation in our region that might requisite him moving to another city. More on that later. The next part of the challenge was that our local church's VBS was scheduled the week we would be gone.

Because the VBS scheduling came later in the year, and the fact that Mary had already planned the family vacation, that had priority, even though we normally would have volunteered for and worked at the VBS. The VBS went well, I am happy to say. It didn't come to a grinding halt because we weren't' there. Which is a good thing. We didn't' actually think it would, but we really did want to be here to help lighten the load for those that did work and volunteer to work with the children.

And finally, I felt I had to work while I was on vacation as well. Normally, I will "dial in", to check for "emergency" emails and the like. A few times while I am on vacation; but this time because of the workload at work, I didn't feel right about leaving my team with all the work we had going on, so I ended up spending 3-6 hours a day dialed in and doing work. It really only interfered with vacationing plans once, so it turned out okay, but it really wasn't a vacation, even though I had to take the time off.

back to the changes...

Turns out that a Pastor in our region, that pastored a church in Council Bluffs had taken advantage of an opportunity to pastor a church in Georgia. I am not privy to all that went on in that choice, but I do understand it was a great opportunity of God for him and that God had apparently "made the way" for him.

So, that left the church in Council Bluffs pastorless. I heard about this a few days before leaving on vacation. I know that the regional overseer, Bishop Madrid and my pastor, Bishop Endecott had been discussing this and they came to the conclusion that it was, in fact, God's direction that Bishop Endecott assume the pastoral role for that church. And further that a local COGOP ordained minister in our congregation, Brother Tim Shipley, would be our local pastor.

Those changes are all now official and while Pastor Endecott is no longer my pastor, I will probably refer to him as pastor for some time. However, I hope that I make the necessary conscious effort to refer to Pastor Shipley as pastor, instead of just "Tim", or Brother Tim. Since he is now my Pastor.

I was asked by several if I would be moving to Council Bluffs to follow my pastor and my best friend. The though hadn't even really occurred to me. God had called me to the COGOP and to this local church, at least for now and I am going to do nothing but dig-in and support my pastor and our congregation.

The timing could've been better, in my opinion, but then again, I am not God and I am still not sure what's going on in my life as far as ministry is concerned and why I am here. Why would God call this multiple divorcee to a denomination that has an "official" teaching that divorce and remarriage is essentially evil and unforgivable. I know that God is calling me to the ministry, but I don't know that I know how to "preach". I can teach, but preaching feels different to me. Pastor Endecott had been helping me in that area, now he is gone.

The bottom line though, is that I just want to serve, and be in service for God.

I don't attend any particular church or associate myself with a particular organization because of any particular man. I do it because I believe God's hand is here and that He is leading and guiding me. So, while I will miss my my pastor, and my friend, I know that our communications will not end and our friendship will continue on.

I will need to step up to the plate now, as an example, I was the treasurer for our church, but I mostly worked with Pastor Endecott and we did it together. With Pastor Shipley, I will be on my own for the books, though Pastor Endecott has said that he was available if I have any questions. Then there was the mentoring. Pastor Endecott had been mentoring me and teaching me about being a pastor. I can't assume that Pastor Shipley will be available for that as Pastor Endecott was.

I expect some changes in the way things work in our local church. I pray that God's will be done, no matter what I think personally.

The only thing I know to do now is to continue to do what I believe God has set in front of me to do and do it the best I can and with all my heart and unto Him. I trust Him and will continue to be as obedient as I know how.

1 Comments:

Blogger M. Perkins said...

I would personally say that change is rough and difficult, but not bad. I myself am going through a pretty significant change, transitioning from high school to college. I would say that in a lot of ways my change is probably easier -- less complications and uncertainties (well, in certain aspects)... nonetheless it can be brutally hard in its own way. I'll be praying for God's hand in your time of change...

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home