RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Friday, May 21, 2004

Forums and stuff...

I frequent many forums on the internet and it gets kind of tiring at times. Part of the challenge for me is that I am a moderator at a couple of them. So, I try not to go to very many very often, just so I can keep track of what I do view.

Firstly is the CPPA forums at Paintmagazine.com. I am the POG KoTL, and so get to track the members list for the Palmer Owners Group. Because I am such a fan of the Palmers line of "custom" markers, This is not a very difficult task. The people that go there are mature and usually very well behaved. Because of the kind of markers and their pricetag, I suppose is what keeps the "kiddies" out.

There are young-uns there, believe me, but because of the factors mentioned, they are typically very mature.

I am the Moderator for the POG and CPPA forums (as well as for the entire of the Paintmagazine forums). Again because of the clientele, not much issue for the most part. As the Mod for the CPPA forums on that site, though I am much moire strick on what I do for moderating. So, I am much more liberal for the other paintmagazine forums. That does not mean I condone all those posts, but I do try to keep the peace.

I'll talk more about the CPPA forums after I mention the PBR forums...

I do frequent the PBR religion/philosophy forums at paintballreview. I do this for entertainment and to grow my experience with others that are theists and non-theists. For the most part, the posts there are pretty civil and mature. sometimes a "kid" will come in and try to raise a ruccus.

the mods do a great job at PBR, though so they don't last long. I try to keep my posts informative, and I try not to get on the defensive if I can help it. THe posts there are thought provoking at times, and humorous at other times. not that I am very funny, but somtimes, my attempt at brevity does work.

The main thing at PBR is that I am on a constant mental vigil so as to not give the wrong impression about who I am or what I believe. again, not defensive, but I do try to remain above reproach when I am being serious about a post. I enjoy the challenge now and again.

The CPPA forums... To me, this is a "refuge" of sorts. It is a forum for Christians and about CHristians and discussions for and about Christians. the main forum is mostly about paintball and the CPPA events and just plain fun, where I can "let my guard down" and be RP with the guys.

The Bible study forums are again a refuge. The CPPA is NOT a church or a denomination, but we do know that there are many denominations in teh CPPA ranks. As such, we know that we are all not going to agree. we are extremely civil in our discussions and when those things come up, we are very concious of othere CPPA members feelings and beliefs.

Most of those kinds of threads end in something about that we remain family in CHrist and that we agree to disagree. very civil and very upfront.

Well, at least that's how the CPPA forums used to be. There has been recently a non-believer that has been posting in our forums. a couple times early on in his first posts, there was some things posted that I felt was disrespectfull based ont eh fact that he was posting on a Christian forum.

He hasn't posted like that for a while, but he does remain to be active in causing dissent. in any other forum, this would be tolorated, after all his opinion is his opinion, right? yes, but in the CPPA forums, the Christian posters are there as that refuge that I mentioned. They dont' want to hav eto deal with non-believers that just want to argue about things.

Honestly, I don't place all teh blame on teh new posters either. there are some Christian posters in teh CPPA, that seem to want to keep those arguments alive. sometimes I think that it is better that some Christians just not say anything, rather than try to be defensive about some point that is irrelevant or has no priority.

In any case I have had to lock and delete some threads. I don't mind him asking questions in teh proper forum and with the proper respect, but the questions and comments seem to be only to get a "responce" from the "Christians". I have to draw a line. Sometimes it may be various places, but mostly because I get to the posted thread after the "damage" has been done already.

One thing I have decided to do is try to take a closer look at where that line is and try to keep it more Christian-based (at least in teh main forum) rather than allowing the non-Christian rhetoric, questions and badgering (even if it is unintentional, which I believe it mostly is).

I thnk that most of the CPPA Christians don't mind answering questions, as long as they are seeking information about CHristianity and not trying to make us defend ourselves. there are other forums for that - PBR for example.

in closing of this book-blog, I just want to say thnaks to all my CHristian CPPA friends. I leve you all and I pray for you daily. I would like to offer a suggestion to them that they please think about their posts before replying to something with a 'knee-jerk' reaction.\and to teh non-CHristinas that frequent the CPPA forums - you are welcome there.

Please keep in mind that it is a forum for and about CHristians. if you wnat to know more about CHristianity, there are other forums for that if you cant keep your questions and comments to information gathering and not to try to gain a reaction and argumentative posting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite to view your blog RP. I'm honored that you gave me the address, so I could read your deeper, more personal thoughts. You have a gift for "pastoring", and reproving with great love and gentleness. Thank you. Thank you for what you do. I'll work on not "knee jerking". Heh. See you in a week. Is it May yet?

4:16 AM  
Blogger Jarred said...

I love it when I find out that my friends have blogs....

Personally, I find many non-Christians' attitudes and behaviors toward Christianity and Christians quite unfortunate. It seems to me that many of these people, rather than simply being non-Christian, ensnare themselve with a powerful hatred for a religion that they feel has "burned them."

Of course, having been there to some degree in the past, I can empathize with their feelings. Heck, I can probably empathize with their behavior, though I shudder to admit it. But it's my experience that one has to eventually allow oneself to let go and heal. And I've also found that allowing oneself to do these things, one can find some excellent friends and conversations among Christians.

I hope that the CPPA forums return to your haven again soon.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home