RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Was gone for a week...

As some may know, I was gone for a week.
 
I was at the Church Of God Of Prophecy General Assembly, held in Kentucky.  I didn't want to post much about what went on in the CPPA forums, because the CPPA is interdenominational, and I didn't want to start a thread that might be considered a schism, especially since I am a member of the national board of the CPPA; and I try to keep the forum as open and in union as possible with all the various "Christian" denominations.
 
firstly - I am not currently a member of the COGOP; though not for a lack of want to be.  Before I get into the Assembly, i find that a bit of history is needed:
 
I had been part of a local church that untill a little over a year ago, was an independant, interdenominational church, associated with the Full Gospel Fellowship, Int. (IIRC).  We didn't really have any "requirements" for membership, only that you were saved and that you attended that fellowship.  so "membership" was not something that I was very acquainted with in teh local church.  To me, membership, only meant that you alligned yourself with and dug-in and became a part of a local church.
 
I was, of course, acquainted with other major denominations and their Membership requirements, in my comparative religion srudioes.  However, what I found in doing "field" research of these various denominations; I found that most of the time what was being taught and what was "lived" at the local church level, was something not exactly the same as the national and international level in those denominations and other sects (Christian and non-Christian).
 
God had lead our local independant church family to meet with and join with a local church that was COGOP, here in Des Moines.  After much prayer and fasting, God had lead us to actually begin sharing the building and share some services.  As time went on we felt God's moving us into more of a union and we eventually merged to one fellowship.  We took on the name of the old church, while maintaining the link to, and heading of teh COGOP denomination - City Life Worship Center, a Ministry of Church of God of Prophecy.
 
This was a "God-thing".  our leadership, complimented each other and the congregations/parishioners we open to recieving eachother as one body in one local church building.  Unity.  Much like my vision and what I work toward for the CPPA, there is an atmosphere and fellowship of unity, with no compromise of the Gospel of Christ.  There was only really one issue that was kind of left open, and that was of "membership".
 
We really didn't talk much about membership since the merger, because the COGOP stand, above the local level, had some things that were limiting.  Without getting too much into it, I will say that the issue has been resolved in several meetings at the assembly.  Some traditions have been replaced by more biblical recommendations and the limitations are no longer.  Essentially, if you are saved, you can join.  The following can be found at the COGOP website, but I will quote it here,a nd is the recommendation that passed in the assembly meeting:

CHURCH MEMBERSHIP
 
(Editorial Note: This recommendation supercedes all other previous Assembly rulings
concerning membership criteria in the Church of God of Prophecy.)
Church Membership Recommendation
We recommend the following concerning membership: In the New Testament, people
received the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ, were baptized in water and were
added to the Church (Acts 2:41-47; Acts 3:19; Romans 10:10). Furthermore, they were
expected to continue in a life of discipleship (Acts 2:42). Salvation is both instantaneous
(new birth, regeneration) and also the all-inclusive work of redemption, beginning with
regeneration and culminating with the glorified body (Hebrews 9:28). In the context of
the book of Acts and especially in the verses of them being "added to the church," the
instantaneous aspect of salvation is evident. Regarding the Church of God of Prophecy,
membership requirement should be an individual’s experience of salvation (which
includes repentance, denouncing and forsaking of sin) and their public commitment to the
church covenant. Membership in the Church denotes acceptance which is the basic need
of every new believer. Therefore as we minister to these people let us endeavor to give
them this sense of belonging.

In accordance with the New Testament pattern and principle, once a believer has been
received into the Church as a member, it is important that every pastor and church use
godly discernment in the discipleship process. Ongoing discipleship, nurturing and
discipline by the pastor and church are very important for those who become members
(Acts 16:4, 5; 1 Corinthians. 6:9-11). Henceforth, we further recommend that the general
church develop a program of extensive discipleship to help all our members mature in
Christ Jesus. This will require great wisdom and loving care by our leadership and
people as we continue in the Harvest.
-----
 
I won't get into everything here, since this is already turning into a "book", but I will say that these are exciting times and I believe that I am right where God wants me to be.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jarred said...

It all sounds very cool.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home