RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's August...

I love my wife.

yea, yea, I know maybe that's corney, but I really do love her. One thing that Mary and I had discussed early on in our relationship was what I believe concerning that little verb. My personal definition and feelings about love as it pertains to the male-female spousal relationship; is possibly not the same as many people.

I believe that love is primarily a choice. Yes, there are emotions and feelings involved, and the erotic, and sexual connotations. Those things are not, at least for me, the main part of what it is to love your spouse. I choose to love her. Every day, I make a choice to continue to love her. What that also means is that when I tell her that I love her, I really mean it.

I have seen so many couples and one will say that they love the other and instantly, they "reply" with an in kind statement. In a few cases, I have even heard one spouse get angry when the other didn't reply in kind, or get upset that they didn't love them anymore because they didn't reply in kind. Bah.

I tell my wife that I love her many times a day, so it's not an "excuse" to not tell her the "L" word either. it's a matter of concious choice. my best friend, my wife, is who I love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jarred said...

What it means to "love" someone -- particularly in the romantic sense -- is always a tough question. I agree with you that in a lot of ways, it's a matter of choice. But then, that still leaves a lot of questions, particularly questions of why we choose to love a particular person rather than someone else. I suppose that's where the "feelings" come in? Perhaps something about that particular person that makes the choice to love them especially attractive?

I also agree that "I love you" (and especially the response "I love you too") are tossed around way too easily and casually. But then, it's my experience that words in general are tossed around way too easily and casually. It's amazing what we say without thinking about what it is we're really saying.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home