RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Friday, April 07, 2006

Did I cheat on that last one?

Okay, so I copied and pasted some stuff I wrote a few years back. I felt I had to do something, my wife reminded me that it had been 6 weeks since I had updated my blog. hehhheeeee

Well, I "updated" it. :-)

Here is a more normal/updating, update for updating the blog as an updated bit of information to update those that are actually reading the updates in this particular blog:

Proverbs 11:30 (last half specifically):
30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who is wise wins souls.

He that wins souls is wise. He that winneth souls is wise.

One of the interesting things that has struck me about this particular passage, is first that it is a "proverb" and so the context of the reference may or may not have direct correlation. In this case, I believe that there is a general correlation, that has to do with blessings (or not, as the case may be). the essential gist of what is going on here is that generosity will be blessed and stingyness is not going to be.

Is this blog about the Biblical concept of the Law of the Harvest? - nope. I just found it interesting that it is found in teh middle of scriptures that seem to be on that topic (in general).

So, the next thing that I find interesting and actually what I wanted to try to express is that I hear this scripture (last half anyway) allot fromteh pulpit: he that wins souls is wise. and they directly correlate that to their ministry or others bringing "winning" people into salvation. getting he unsaved, saved.

I find that interesting becasue the whole salvation issue (as we know and understand it in the New Testament, Christian church) is about the sacrifice that Christ paid, fulfilling teh law, and bringing atonement for our sin nature, and that if we accept this gift of grace, by faith, we are saved and can have a restored relationship with God through the intercessor, Christ Jesus.

In any case, the challenge is that in one message a minister will say that it is not "us" that does the saving, it is Christ, or it is God that does the saving. Then in another message they will talk about themselves "saving" people and use proverbs to tell people that by saving people, we are "wise".

I think that there is more here than meets the eye. I believe we are a trichotomistic being. Body, Soul and spirit. unfortunately many believe and are taught from the pulpit, (even if they don't believe it) that the spirit and soul are the same thing, and use the terms interchangeably. sometimes that is the easier way to reference them, however, I believe it can cause confusion.

I do not believe the soul and spirit to be the same. so in the case of this scripture reference, it is talking about the soul, as the heart of man, the emotions and thought processes. So by winning this "soul", it is a wise thing becuase then those that are "won" are then more able to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading into repentance and therefor salvation.

witnessing and sharing the Gospel is a form and type of what is a process of trying to win those souls. So is living a lifestyle that is something that others see is Christiana nd something they want and desire. Many Christians live a certain lifestyle that is not very different, if at all from those they are trying to "win". so when they "hear" the winning-process being spoken to them, they are thinking in their soul, (conciously and subconciously) that they aren't living it, so what difference does it make what they say to me.

I am not syaing that I am perfect, or that I don't make mistakes, but I am saying that endeavoring to be and live obediently to Gods Word is part and parcel of presenting that information to the souls of others so that they are won into a place that they can make a decisian for Christ.

He that wins souls is wise.

We can win souls.
God does the saving of the spirit.
We are not the Holy Ghost.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting and intelligent post RP. (Not that I'd expect anything less from you.) I have to agree with your line of thinking on that one...

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jarred said...

Happy Resurrection Day, RP!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home