RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Monday, July 03, 2006

Preached yesterday...

My first Sunday Service. As a teacher, this was very stressing time for me becuase I wanted to not go over, I wnated to present the word, and have it be applicable and fresh.

I went over by about half an hour (message time was about an hour), thoguh several came to me afterwoards and expressed that they enjoyed the message and that it touched them.

The message was about the Holy Ghost and Fire and a lifestyle of giving, based on Acts 4:31-37. I really wanted to get into the verb parsing and tense so that I could show that the giving was a continuous lifestyule and not just something that happened at one point in time as a pool of resources. I did express that, though.

One of my challenges when presenting Gods word is that I am "used to" having a scripture reference for any kind of comment I make in teh class-environment. "preaching" (there really is no difference, but...) tends to be less data intense, and more "believe me because I said so". therein lays my challenge. I have a personal issue with preachers that preach/teach and hav enot really done their homework adn are re-presenting something that they were taught and not somethign that they studied or were revealed by God on their own. so when it comes to me, I have a hard time with presenting without "source-citing", which is classroom-type teaching.

Oh well, I think it went well overall. and I believe that What God wanted for the congregation was presented.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went so well RP!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jarred said...

I'm glad it went well too. And I can empathize about the whole source-citing thing. Personally, one of my issues with the lack of source-citing is that it doesn't give people as much of a chance to verify what they're being told for themselves. Which contributes to that whole "teaching what you heard someones said without researching it for yourself" thing you mentioned.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home