RP's Stuff and Things...

The spot for my online journal entries. Be forwarned that I am a Christian and am the founder of the Christian Paintball Players Association, and I may have to rant now and again. Please keep in mind, though that these are my personal thoughts and opinions, and do not represent "Christianity", The COGOP denomination which I am a member, my local church, or the CPPA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norwalk, Iowa, United States

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hoefling Exodus Tour 11/12/07

http://picasaweb.google.com/rambopreacher/Exodus1112

Monday, November 12
Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane , Bethlehem & Church of the Nativity
Hotel Jerusalem Renaissance
Ruppin Bridge at Herzl Blvd, Jerusalem, Israel 91033

6:00 wake up 6:30 breakfast, 7:00 start
Road to Jerusalem – also the road that of the Good Samaritan
Jews – Jerusalem = Moria, where Abraham was led to sacrifice his son Issac

9:50 – gray dome with three towers - site of the last supper
Muslims – Jerusalem is not mentioned once in the Koran. The Temple Mount (built 720 AD) is the historic location on Mohammad's’s dream (625 AD) of traveling on a horse to Mecca. All Muslims had prayed toward Jerusalem prior to the dream, then changed to Mecca – conflict.
City of David – overlooks Kidron Valley, where Judas hung himself
Church of Russian Czar – gold onion domes
Garden of Gethsemane – Mt of Olives – oil press
Christians = “one – coming from the root” as an olive tree does
1924 – Church of the Agony in the Garden
Mt of Olives – Bible
Platform where seven red cows were sacrificed (as opposed to many 100’s of other animals). Jews mixed ashes of Red cow with oil and flour, and this became the ashes used on the 10 lepers = beauty for ashes (Isaiah 61:3)
11:00 – Valley of Kidron – Hezekiah's tomb
City of David – Dung Gate
Caiaphas’ house – 11:00

Bethlehem is in Palestine
“House of Meat” – Hebrew
“House of Bread” – Muslim
80% of economy - tourism
Arabic language – 45,000 people

My notes:
Traveling on the road to Jerusalem, probably the same stretch of land/road that the good Samaritan story is based; I can see how that it would be a primary path, as the terrain is very mountainous and this would be an easy way to get from city to city. I also can see how that it might have been a place of people with malevolence in mind. cliffs, and "no escape" routes.

As I recalled the scriptural reference, I thought about the religious folk that would have passed by on the other side of the road (just as they might today, in order to stay "ritually clean".) I wondered, if given the circumstances what I would do. I came to the conclusion that I may not have been a good Samaritan. I may have tried, but I am not sure I would have gone to the same lengths as he did in that teaching.

I am not proud of that, but it is an honest evaluation. in fact this is something that God is working with me about. I am not a very good "people person". and for reasons I wont get into here, I actually prefer to avoid crowds and "strangers". I am much better than I was only a few years ago, but I still am working on this and with God's help will be much better as I continue to be obedient.

From across the Kidron Valley at about the Mount of Olives area, the Temple mount area is a beautiful site. the Muslim occupation and the dome of the rock doesn't seem to mean anything to anyone when observing Mount Moria area. It is beautiful, even though looking across all the graveyards.

I was amazed at the olive trees at the Gethsemane area (Mt of olives). the trunks are large and gnarled. we are told that many of the trees there were dated to over 2000 years and may have been there during the first century and Jesus time.

I was taken back again in my mind to the references of this area. that Jesus first shed blood here in apparent anguish of upcoming events, and His desire to be obedient as the sacrifice for my personal atonement.

The Church of Agony at that location was interesting. apparently the "stained glass" is actually Alabaster rock, and not glass at all.

When we went to Bethlehem, we had to go into Palestine area. the walls separating the metropolis areas were not invisible. the graffiti and posters that appeared to make fun of Jews on the Palestinian side were prevalent. It is no wonder there is conflict. it seems to be "personal" to them.

The church of the nativity in Bethlehem was very beautiful. I was particularly interested in the early century mosaics in the "sub" floor of the church. Again, there are "traditional locations" of this event, and as I understand at least 3 different churches proclaiming to be "the one". It is no wonder that from the outside looking at "Christianity", the other Abrahamic, monotheistic religious traditions tend to look at us with some disdain and disbelief. we argue among ourselves. we fight within, we judge each other's salvation and are so petty when it comes to things spiritual.

The night view from the hotel to Jerusalem, here is not spectacular, but it is very beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home